The Peninsula School is offering scholarships for students entering Grade 5 in 2016. Examinations will be held on Saturday 21 February 2015 at our Mt Eliza campus.
Scholarship Selection Testing (SST) is conducted on our behalf by ACER, The Australian Council for Educational Research, a well-known, independent, national research and development organization. ACER currently conducts scholarship testing of many thousands of students across Australia.
Please note that a candidate who registers for more than one school using the ACER SST program will need to sit more than one test. Each school uses a different test and scores are not shared amongst schools when different tests are used. If two schools offer SST testing on the same day, candidates will have to choose between the schools as results from one test cannot be provided to the other school.
We offer two types of scholarships – Academic and General Excellence.
Academic Scholarships are awarded to the students who perform best on the examination.
General Excellence Scholarships are awarded to students who do well on the examination and who can demonstrate excellence in areas such as Sport, Music, Drama, etc. Evidence of achievement will be required from those students who are invited for General Excellence interviews after the awarding of Academic Scholarships is completed.
• The Principal may, at his discretion, decide not to award any or all of the scholarships, in the event of applicants failing to reach a satisfactory standard at the examination.
• The Principal can terminate a scholarship at any time if he is not satisfied with the holder’s conduct or progress.
• Scholarships are tenable throughout a student’s time at the school, and it is expected that scholarship holders will remain at the school until they complete VCE, unless there are extraordinary circumstances.
• The number of scholarships and the level of fee remission may vary, but in general a 50% remission of tuition fees is applicable for Academic Scholarships. General Excellence Scholarships normally attract up to 30% remission. Please note that a registration fee and non-refundable entry fee will be payable for new students entering The Peninsula School.
• A scholarship holder is required to give a lead in the academic life of the school, an undivided loyalty to the school, and to participate fully in school activities.
The examination will include a test of general reasoning, spelling, reading comprehension, written expression and maths. These tests have been intentionally selected to be appropriate and non-threatening for this age group. Most students find that the testing is challenging but not traumatising, and many even find the experience enjoyable! For further information regarding the structure of the test, please refer to the ACER website.
ACER publishes a number of guides to assist candidates prepare for scholarship testing. These are available from ACER directly at www.acer.edu.au.
For Grade 5 candidates, a free download entitled Get Ready Go is available from ACER at www.acer.edu.au. This booklet contains valuable information for parents and students along with some sample questions, tips and advice. This is a must read for parents of students sitting the Grade 5 scholarship exam. Previous examination papers are not available for Grade 5 candidates from the School or from ACER.
We usually receive results from ACER approximately two weeks after the exam. However, it takes an additional four weeks for the scholarship process to be finalized by the School and parents should rest assured that they WILL be contacted with regard to their child’s performance in the exam. The School will provide a written report of each child’s examination results to parents.
The School’s decision as to the number of Scholarships offered, and to whom, is final. No correspondence will be entered into with parents of children who are not awarded a Scholarship or a Scholarship interview. The School’s enrolment policies and requirements will be taken into account in awarding scholarships.
• Please do not submit supporting documentation with your application, either to ACER or to the School. If a student is being considered for a scholarship, further information will be requested at that time.
Online applications for Grade 5 Scholarships commencing in 2016 are now open.
You will receive an email from ACER confirming your registration. If you experience any problems while registering online, please contact a member of the ACER technical support team: email@example.com
• The examination will be held in the Small Gym, adjacent to the Administration Building. Your child MUST arrive no later than 8:45 a.m. to allow students time to be seated prior to the prompt commencement of the examinations at 9:00am.
• On arrival, all students and parents should wait outside the Old Gym. Please click here for a map of the School. When we are ready to call the roll, parents will be asked to move to the quadrangle and we will commence calling the students into the examination hall by their names.• The exam will conclude at approximately 11:30am.
Parents wishing to view the School are invited to contact our Admissions Office, who welcome enquiries at any time and will be happy to arrange personal tours for families. Telephone (03) 9788 7753 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.