The Peninsula School offers Scholarships for students entering Year 7 annually. Examinations are held in the February of a candidates' Grade 6 year.
Scholarship Selection Testing (SST) is conducted on our behalf by ACER, The Australian Council for Educational Research, a well-known, independent, national research and development organization. ACER currently conducts scholarship testing of many thousands of students across Australia.
We offer two types of scholarships – Academic and General Excellence.
Academic Scholarships are awarded to the students who perform best on the examination.
General Excellence Scholarships are awarded to students who do well on the examination and who can demonstrate excellence in areas such as Sport, Music, Drama, Debating, etc. Evidence of achievement will be required from those students who are invited for General Excellence interviews, after the awarding of Academic Scholarships is completed.
• The Principal may, at his discretion, decide not to award any or all of the scholarships, in the event of applicants failing to reach a satisfactory standard at the entrance examination.
• The Principal can terminate a scholarship at any time if he is not satisfied with the holder’s conduct or progress.
• Scholarships are tenable throughout a student’s time at the school, and it is expected that scholarship holders will remain at the school until they complete VCE, unless there are extraordinary circumstances.
• The number of scholarships and the level of fee remission may vary, but in general a 50% remission of tuition fees is applicable for Academic Scholarships. General Excellence Scholarships normally attract up to 30% remission. Please note that a registration fee and non-refundable entry fee will be payable for new students entering The Peninsula School.
• A scholarship holder is required to give a lead in the academic life of the school, an undivided loyalty to the school, and to participate fully in school activities.
The examination includes a test of general reasoning, spelling, reading comprehension, written expression and maths. These tests have been intentionally selected to be appropriate and non-threatening for this age group. Most students find that the testing is challenging but not traumatising, and many even find the experience enjoyable!
ACER also publishes a guide entitled A Parent's Guide to Scholarship Tests. This guide may be purchased from the ACER website at a cost of $29.95.
ACER publishes sample collections of questions to help students become more familiar with the style and content of questions on the SST test. These are 2 volumes containing a number of questions similar in style, level of difficulty and content to those on the actual SST test papers.
Volume 1 can purchased by candidates as an “add-on” to the online registration process for $40.00 and is shipped by ACER to candidates. It can also be purchased directly from ACER via their website. Volume 2 is $25 and is available for students wanting further practice.
An Online Practice Test is available for Year 7 online registration candidates only. This a test that can be administered at home and then returned to ACER for results. The cost of this sample test is $40.00 (incl GST and postage) and it can be purchased via the ACER website www.acer.edu.au.
Please note that past SST tests are not available for purchase.
We usually receive the SST test results from ACER approximately two weeks after the exam. However, it takes an additional four weeks for the scholarship process to be finalized by the School and parents should rest assured that they WILL be contacted with regard to their child’s performance in the exam. The School will provide a written report of each child’s examination results to parents.
The School’s decision as to the number of Scholarships offered, and to whom, is final. No correspondence will be entered into with parents of children who are not awarded a Scholarship or a Scholarship interview. The School’s enrolment policies and requirements will be taken into account in awarding scholarships.
• Visit ACER’s website at www.acer.edu.au. and follow the prompts to download your Candidate’s Information Booklet. PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS BOOKLET BEFORE REGISTERING ONLINE.
• Refer to ACER’s policies regarding refunds.
• Please do not submit supporting documentation with your application, either to ACER or to the School. If a student is being considered for a scholarship, further information will be requested at that time.
• If required, a guide for our fees in 2014 is available from our Admissions Office upon request.
If after reading through this information you would like to register your child to sit the scholarship examination, please click below to be linked to the ACER registration site and then follow the prompts –
Please note that the online registration fee is $105.00 and must be paid by credit card. It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete the online registration process.
You will receive an e-mail from ACER confirming your registration. If you experience any problems while registering online, please contact a member of the ACER technical support team: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Your child MUST arrive no later than 8:45am to allow students time to be seated prior to the prompt commencement of the examinations at 9:00am.
• On arrival, all students and parents should wait outside the Ansett Hall. Please click here for a map of the School. When we are ready to call the roll, parents will be asked to move to the quadrangle and we will commence calling the students into the examination hall by their names.
• The exam will conclude at approximately 12:00 Noon.
• As any noise can be quite distracting for the students sitting the examination, we ask that families do not return to the examination venue to collect their children until the conclusion of the exam.
• On examination day your child will only need to bring along two HB or B pencils, a pencil eraser and two blue or black pens. No other equipment should be brought, as all other materials will be provided on the day.
• Please provide a snack and a drink for consumption during the break.
The examination comprises four separate sub-tests:
• Written Expression – 25 minutes
• Humanities – 40 minutes
• Mathemetics – 40 minutes
• Written Expression – 25 minutes
For further information regarding the structure of the test, please refer to the ACER website.
We invite you to come along to the Pavilion and take a tour with one of our student guides and experience “The Peninsula School in action”. We do not go to elaborate lengths to stage demonstrations or exhibitions, much preferring that you simply observe a typical day at our school and see how we operate, learn about our programs and meet our staff and students.
PLEASE PRINT OFF A COPY OF THIS PAGE AS IT CONTAINS IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING EXAMINATION DAY
Parents wishing to view the School are invited to contact our Admissions Office, who welcome enquiries at any time and will be happy to arrange personal tours for families. Telephone (03) 9788 7753 or email email@example.com.
|What's On - Upcoming Events|